Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring Gardening

I know I've waited too long to tell the tale of our garden. My first garden, really. I was recommended the book Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew http://http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Square-Foot-Gardening/dp/1591862027/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205619737&sr=8-1 and was way too excited to get started. I figured that with the size of our yard, it would be a good solution to our lack of space, not to mention the bad Vegas soil. So a few weeks ago we finally got out and did it. Thank goodness Gary is such a handy guy. He's been a lifesaver more times than I could possibly count. I guess I could just let the pictures tell the story though....

Here's the material to get started. We went with the cheapest wood we could find, so it's just simple pine.
Photobucket

Gary found a good deal on 'open bags' at Home Depot. We still went out and bought the peat moss and vermiculite though. But this was a GREAT start on the soils we needed, at a great price!
Photobucket

The future site:
Photobucket

Gettin' it done:
Photobucket

Some of the frames ready to go:
Photobucket

Don't forget Dad's little helper... she was building a bird house with some of the scrap wood.
Photobucket

Finally ready to plant:
Photobucket

The first plants are in!!
Photobucket

A few days later, Gary was able to pick up the stuff to build our trellis supports. Isn't he a good lookin' guy?
Photobucket

One of the final products:
Photobucket


So of course by now, I'm dying to see our first sprouts coming out of the ground. I told Gary that I wasn't going to rest easy until I saw things actually growing. Shows my lack of faith, doesn't it!

So imagine how thrilled I was when the radishes finally decided to poke some leaves out! Yay! Maybe our garden will work after all!

Photobucket

4 comments:

The Isoms said...

Great garden! It will be fun for the kids to watch them grow! Now will Ozzy leave it alone?!:)

Unknown said...

What a great guy Gary is for putting the garden together! Will there be a delicious home grown salad for the Memorial Day picnic?

Melanie and Gary said...

Ha! Ozzy has already dug in it twice.... but I think Gary has him 'convinced' not to do it ever again ;)

I'm *hoping* that we'll have several things ready to be harvested by Memorial Day.... We'll see though. Something tells me that we'll have kids plucking some not-so-ripe strawberries in May though!

Tami said...

Wow...nice garden beds! We are trying our first in plain old pots. I have never gardened so any tips are great!

P.S. my mom sent me your blog address.